Video Recordings of A Princess’s Wish
Purchase a video of A Princess’s Wish on DVD or through digital download.
Each season, we cast and stage an original ballet written and choreographed especially for that season’s dancers. This year, the students of The Children’s Ballet were proud to present A Princess’s Wish.
The Story of A Princess’s Wish
Long ago in a cold, northern kingdom lived a good and fair King and Queen who loved their daughter, the Princess, very much. The King and Queen ruled their kingdom with the help of the magical Duchess and the land was peaceful.
Every day it snowed, and every day there was caroling, skating, and even mischievous snow ball fights, as the villagers enjoyed the sparkling snowfall.
Our story opens as the Princess plays in the snow with her friends. Her companions scamper home as the King and Queen arrive to retrieve their daughter. Over time, the King has lost his love of the snow. On this day, he commands to the Duchess to magically end the icy wonderland. The princess pleads with her father, but the King insists. The Duchess sadly weaves her spell and the snow stops falling. The snowmen and the flurries dance one last dance in the kingdom.
Seven years later, the housekeeper and her servants put the finishing touches on the castle in preparation for Christmas and the holiday guests. The princess, now a young lady, arrives with her friends and anxiously waits for the festival to begin. The King and Queen arrive with the Duchess and her Ladies-in-Waiting, and they open the festivities with a minuet.
Candy Cane Makers produce fine treats, and gift givers distribute presents. The court welcomes the Royal Story Teller who will entertain the guests with her fairy tale characters, including Mary-Quite-Contrary and her flowers, Little Red Riding Hood and her wolf, Little Bo Peep and her lamb, Little Miss Muffet and her spider, and Goldilocks and the Three Bears. Even the Duchess joins the fun as she performs as the Old Lady in the Shoe.
The King asks the Princess if she was pleased with the evening’s entertainment, but the princess is sad for she misses the beautiful snow. Now, the King loves his daughter more than anything else in his realm, so he agrees to grant her wish for snow once more. He asks the Duchess to reverse her spell and let it snow for Christmas. The Duchess tries to reverse her spell but accidentally makes the Princess disappear! The King and Queen and all their subjects search for the Princess, but she is truly gone. The royal couple are heartbroken.
Under the glitter of the Northern Stars and the glow of the Aurora Borealis, the Princess suddenly appears in a strange and foreign land. She is confused as to her whereabouts but realizes she is not alone when a flock of penguins waddle by to investigate what kind of penguin she is (and are surprised that she has no tail!).
After the Princess describes her predicament, the Penguins explain that the Duchess’s spell failed because only the powerful Crystal Queen can make it snow again. Friendly Eskimos direct the Princess to the Crystal Queen who reigns with a court of Ice Crystals. Reindeer guide the Princess along the way, and the Snow Queen and her Snow Flakes cheer her journey.
When the Princess reaches the court of the Crystal Queen, she pleads for her to make it snow in her kingdom. The Crystal Queen is at first indifferent but is finally moved by the young Princess’s eloquence. A grand spell is cast, the Princess falls asleep, and awakens in her own courtyard.
She is home once more, but will her wish for snow come true?
Saturday, June 13, 2020
West Bridge Church :: 1521 S County Road 75 W in Danville
1. Snowmen perform from 10:00-10:30 am (Thursday 4:00 class)
2. Little Snowflakes perform from 10:30-11:00 am (Tuesday 10:30 class)
3. Housekeepers and Maids perform from 11:00-11:30 am (Thursday 6:00 class)
4. Candy Cane Makers perform from 11:30 am-12:00 pm (Thursday 5:00 class)
5. Gift Givers perform from 12:00-12:30 pm (Friday 5:00 class)
6. Goldilocks/Bears perform from 12:30-1:00 pm (Tuesday 6:00 class + Lilianne)
7. Children in Shoe perform from 1:00-1:30 pm (Friday 4:00 class)
8. Penguins perform from 1:30-2:00 pm (Tuesday 4:00 class)
9. Eskimos perform from 2:00-2:30 pm (Tuesday 5:00 class)
10. Reindeer perform from 2:30-3:00 pm (Thursday 10:30 class)
~Break for Crew 3:00-3:30 pm~
11. Snow Ball Fight/Flowers perform from 3:30-4:15 pm (Tuesday/Thursday 7:00 class)
12. Skaters / Candy Cane Givers perform from 4:15-5:00 pm (Tuesday/Thursday 8:00 class)
13. Princess and Friends/Northern Stars perform from 5:00-6:00 pm (Monday/Wednesday 4:15 class)
14. Carolers/Ice Crystals/Ladies in Waiting (Intermediate) perform from 6:00-7:00 pm
15. Soloists/Northern Lights/Snowflakes (Advanced + Sheep, Spider, Wolf) perform from 7:00-8:00 pm
16. Story Dances (Snow Stops, Princess’s Wish Granted, Princess’s Wish Comes True: Advanced + M/W 4:15 class + Little Princess) 8:00-8:30 pm
Costumes will be sent home the last week of classes. A lot of work has gone into selecting and fitting costumes and headpieces, so please take good care of them! Hang them in a closet and do not wear them until the 13th. Families who need to pick up costumes may do so on Friday, June 12 from 3:00 – 6:00 pm at the studio.
Costume basics for girls:
(unless something different has been specified by Miss Emily)
- Tights – pink, footed tights (clean and no holes!)
- Hair – low, tidy bun, no bun covers (hair nets are fine)
- Secure headpieces with hair pins
- Shoes – pink ballet shoes with ribbons and diamonds removed
- No black leotards under costumes
- No jewelry (small earrings are fine)
Saturday, June 13: dancer portraits will be taken immediately after each class performs their dance on stage. Our photographer, Sarah Crail, has everything ready for early ordering on her website. Click here for ordering information, and check out her video tutorial here.
Click here to download the waiver form. Please fill one out for each dancer in your family and bring with you to the church on Saturday.